This section describes the process started from the idea to have AJAX templates. The AJAX templates stream of though is split into two sub-streams:
- web services, and
- web services clients
Web services is the working name of the API that the core provides for non-traditional clients.
Web services clients
Not all web services clients will be clients to the same web services (though ONE API might benefit us). The web services clients are:
- The plain HTML templates
- The plain HTML templates (which are currently known as TemplatesInSquirrelMail and will remain the default Squirrelmail templates) are the first and simplest client.
- Fast templates
- A version of the plain HTML templates that is AJAX enhanced in order to be faster than the plain HTML templates by loading only template segments.
- Web application
- A full blown AJAX web application similar to the new Yahoo! Mail, to Google Mail, etc.
- Flash application
- Flash has a good way to call php web services.
- Desktop applications
- The simplest example are the OS X widgets and Vista gadgets. web services would make it possible to create simple such that display different aspects of one or more mail accounts.
- Web sites
- Web sites can be web services clients. They can integrate different aspects of one or more mail accounts providing higher value for their users.